Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Will you?

I've decided to fast forward this post and get it down whilst its still fresh.


Nov 4th 2008 - Melb Cup day.

It was an exciting day, yet at the same time mundane in some ways.

I had just been through so much, changing jobs in Melbourne, Moving to Adelaide and a number of job offers each with their own unique pitfalls and draws.

Amongst all this I had flown to Singapore to hunt for a shiny rock, taken a slow bus to KL to speak with her parents.

yes it had been a busy few weeks for me.

The girl had been through a series of changes too, going from hardcore surgeon to be into an ICU doctor (they're called Intensivists I'm told...) and of course the life compression change going from long dist bf to being just down the road.

God had been blessing me and us throughout the entire journey, but it was not without its bumps in the road.

The girl and I had been tiffing about houses and budgets for the nuptials, I being too risk adverse and long sighted whilst she being just a little bit too keen to own something.

Then there were of course, the usual overtures from our pasts that flited about, causing me to jump at shadows with swords drawn.

But we had gotten past those things with the mercy of the great God we serve and was this day happily shopping in Ikea for furniture together (Having given the girl free reign of the interior design of the new house in Ade)

I had been deviously spreading the misinformation for weeks that her ring was being custom made in Melbourne. And in the continuous be moaning of the long process of the contruction, had been buying time for the perfect moment.

However, it dawned on me earlier that morning that given her latest change in work timetables, my initial (and completely brilliant plan) to propose to her would not be going ahead.

Instead my mind had began to formulate a last minute ramp up to asking the question... Today. Afterall we had just discussed plans to go out for a nice dress up date tonight... why not? I asked myself.

These plans were just about shelved as the girl complained of exhaustion, tiredness and a headache as we strolled in ikea. But after an ikea hotdog disappeared down her gillet she smiled and the dinner date was suddenly revived.

After dropping her off to get changed I dashed home to prepare the ring(s).

A quick slice and dice of packing / acoustic foam to pad the ring boxes and I was ready to go.

The little one had dressed in her stunning blue plunge whilst i had donned my red candy striped shirt, walking hand in hand towards the belgium beer bar (heyy its sentimental eh?) we were a happy couple indeed.

Dinner came and went with the promise of hot chocolate at the birthplace of US just round the corner. And just as the little one excused her self to the loo at the end of the meal, I quickly pulled out old Harvard and Yale out of the decoy camera bag and donned our "first meeting" out fit.

She was still smiling as we walked across the corner... where I ditched the bag and dropped on one knee and pulled out the rock...

I think I was as stunned as she was.

Oh wow, I don't believe I"m doing this...

I think I heard myself say.

SW, I've waited all my life for you.
You complete me, and I would like to spend the rest of our lives together.
SW would you please marry me?

She was so stunned all she could do was nod and smile.

Like a moment in a dream I slipped the ring on her finger.

And so that is how this boy asked the question of a lifetime.

:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats~!! Always nice to hear that there is always someone, at somewhere in this world God has created, has committed to stay together spreading the love of God. I am sincerely happy for you both and wish you both a 'happily ever after'. May God be in the middle of this relationship and bless you with all the love.

Anonymous said...

anonymous...
He said it was Melbourne Cup day 4 Oct 2008?But Melb Cup day was 4th November 2008. And she said it was 1 Nov 2008 which was not Melb Cup day? 4 Oct? 4Nov? or 1Nov? Surely it was an important day (date)that you would remember at heart.

siew wai said...

Hahahahaha ...i didnt realise it.
okie...we have come to the consensus that it was 4th Nov 2008...and i have corrected it

it was quite hilarous:)

Caravaggio said...

Yes yes, it was indeed the 4th of Nov.

Why did we get the date wrong?

Well.. have you ever been so in love?

Here's something that barely scratches the surface of what we feel.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsQWT7d0iM

Anonymous said...

Wordsmith! I dared, I dared, I finally dared!

:D



*big big smile* for the Wordsmith.

...

And a curtsey, old-style. Graceful, humble. To the Lady SW.

Perhaps someday in person.

>> K.